Benefits of the operation
• The “Bypass for Diabetes Metabolic Bypass” is a very effective intervention, capable of curing or improving diabetes by decreasing the needs of oral antidiabetics and insulin.
• In addition, it slows the evolution of diabetes. This is very important, since diabetes is getting worse slowly and silently (without the patient’s notice initially), throughout life.
• Within a few days of the intervention, blood glucose levels and insulin resistance decrease. This immediately reduces the need for antidiabetic drugs (pills and / or insulin).
• It also improves or cures in the medium term, other possible metabolic disorders that often accompany it to diabetes (hypertension, cholesterol and high triglycerides, high uric acid).
When the Metabolic Bypass is indicated
• Patients between 25-65 years old.
• BMI greater than 29 and less than 40.
• Diabetes Mellitus type II (adult) with less than 10 years of evolution.
• Increasing need for oral antidiabetics and / or insulin.
• Bad control of Diabetes despite medical treatment and correct habits (high levels of glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin)
• Unfavorable evolution of diabetes (appearance of complications)
How the Metabolic Bypass is performed:
• The key is to make a Bypass of the food, preventing it from passing through the duodenum and the first loop of the jejunum (a section of intestine that is in intimate relation with the pancreas, which is the organ that regulates blood glucose).
• Currently, we are doing a new technique called BYPASS TYPE SADIS, which is more efficient and physiological although it cannot be recommended in all patients. This operation is a technical modification of the Duodenal Crossing, the most efficient of all, which has been simplified and avoided many of its adverse effects. The BYPASS TYPE SADIS is one of the most effective and safe techniques today, although its technical realization is complex and only experienced surgeons should do it.
• The operation is performed through laparoscopic surgery, without having to open the abdomen, with minimal discomfort, without scars, lasts about 3 hours and the average stay in the hospital is 2 days. The recovery is fast. You can return to your normal life in seven days.
• Our patients get up and walk the same day of the surgery, and do not need postoperative ICU, thanks to the meticulous anesthetic and surgical method we use.
• We use the best technology for interventions, with the most advanced suture and hemostasis systems, from “Ethicon-Endo Surgery” and “Covidien-Auto Suture”, all imported from the USA
How the Metabolic Bypass operation “works”
• There is an immediate action, mediated by incretins. The intestinal bypass prevents food from passing through the intestine that surrounds the pancreas, improving endocrine regulation and the existing insulin blockade.
• In addition, the weight loss inherent to the operation helps and steadily improves the previous effect, thanks to the strong decrease in visceral and perivisceral fat (the surrounding and infiltrating all the abdominal viscera: liver, pancreas, less intestinal …)
What is Gastric Plication?
The aim is to explain the greater curvature of the stomach, to reduce its capacity by 80%.
How we do the intervention
By mini-invasive laparoscopy:
• The greater curvature of the stomach is released.
• Fold the stomach pouch in two consecutive layers.
• The folds are fixed with permanent suture material.
• The first line of points plica 85% of the pocket. The second dotted line occupies 15% and protects the main one from a possible reopening.
• When the stomach fills, the points betray from outside, homogeneously, preventing failures.
How does it work
• Decreases the capacity of the stomach: the patient feels full with what fits in a dessert plate.
• The stomach loses the ability to distend, avoiding excessive intake.
• Forces the patient to change their habits, eating 5 times a day.
• The digestive function is normal.
• Everything that is eaten is absorbed.
• It is not necessary to take food supplements.
• Excessive and repeated intake could open part of the plication, increasing the gastric capacity.
• Patients should take care of themselves and limit the maximum amounts of intake for life.
• Technique under clinical supervision.